You are what you like.

snitches get stitches

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Weekly Faves

So I haven't done my post about my favorite new releases in the past couple weeks. I've been really busy with packing all my stuff up, going to CA, driving up to Idaho to stay with my sister for a few days and then driving/settling up here in Portland. So here is a list of some of my favorite things that have come out recently.

Tropic Thunder



Tropic Thunder was pretty funny. Not as good as Pineapple Express, but it had me entertained throughout. At times it's a bit alienating because it's just a big "inside joke on Hollywood" movie, and I can't really relate to that scene yet. And at times all the big famous actors who appeared in the film were almost screaming "Look at me! See, I'm not some big pompous Hollywood ass! I'm in on the joke! I'm skewering Hollywood! I'm biting the hand that feeds me, and I don't even care because I'm not like all those OTHER actors who take themselves so seriously. Heeee!". But it was funny though.

American Teen




I really enjoyed this documentary. It was just really entertaining and well-made. Also, I'm a total sucker for coming-of-age, honest high school stories. It's probably my favorite genre, and one that I would like to contribute in one day. I love The Catcher in the Rye and My So-Called Life and Freaks and Geeks... honest portrayals of the hardships, pains and unattainable joys of growing up. And if there is any genre I HATE, it's these fake high school shows about rich young models who are all so beautiful and eloquent. Seriously, I hate all this 90210, O.C., Gossip Girls, Laguna Beach bull crap. And I hate when the kids are just as smart and world-weary as the adults. Like in Gilmore Girls, where the daughter has the same vocabulary, diction and rhetoric skills as her mother and they always share in this witty banter throughout the show. Gimme a break. I like honest portrayals like My So-Called Life, where the kids say "Uhmmm and stuff" because THAT'S WHAT KIDS SAY.
Anyways, I really liked this film. I cried and stuff. Go see it.

The Wire Season 5 (DVD)




This is the last season of maybe the greatest television show of all time. I know I'm prone to hyperbole sometimes, but that might be the truth when the television medium is all said and done and future-people have all moved on to 3-D headsets or something. Like, The Wire isn't even a TV show, that is too demeaning. It's almost like a Shakespearean, Dickensian Greek tradgedy mixed with the perfect amount of street knowledge, police drama and sociological experiments to be a classic for a long time to come. It's really great. I'm half-way done with this last season and I'm in heaven.

Mad Men (DVD)



Ok so I'm a little late on this (and I honestly haven't even seen this show yet, I don't even remember what channel it's on) but I just got this DVD set of the first season of Mad Men. I heard it's great, I can't wait to watch it. And the DVD Zippo case is really cool too. I bet I'll love this show.

Deerhunter "Microcastles"




The new Deerhunter album, "Microcastles" has been leaked for so long that Bradford Cox just decided to release it on iTunes this week. The CD will be released on 10/28 still, with a bonus EP. "Microcastles" is a great album, another homerun for Bradford and should be listened to by all. This guy is a genius. I'm excited to see Deerhunter at the MFNW festival.

Lykke Li "Youth Novels"




I've been totally obsessed with Lykke Li for the past couple months, and I'm so glad that her debut album, "Youth Novels", has FINALLY come out her in the U.S. She's a great singer, her voice is absolutely amazing. I'm so glad I finally have the album. Now all I need to do is stop listening to "Little Bit" and give everything else a chance.

No comments:

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

Dat Dood

Dat Dood