You are what you like.

snitches get stitches

Sunday, April 20, 2008

My favorite album of 2008 (so far)




I'm so in love with this album!
I've been a big M83 fan for awhile now; his perfect mix of "My Bloody Valentine" shoegaze mixed with "AIR"-style electronics has always been right up my alley. It seemed like he was a Frankenstein monster created specifically for myself and my soulie Sofia Coppola. His "Dead Cities, Red Seas and Lost Ghosts" was really great and I spazzed out at his concert. His last album, however, was a little too bombastic and thematic for me and I lost my Frankenstein for a couple years.
But just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...
M83's new album, "Saturdays=Youth", is perfection personified. It's sounds like the 80's, but not in the "OMG we should totally have an 80's dance party and we should wear leggings and neon spandex and pretend like we REALLY dig A-Ha" kind of way. The production is steeped in 80's techniques and M83 has added a new influence to their AIR-meets MBV sound; Cocteau Twins.
It sounds like the perfect soundtrack to an amalgamation of John Hughes classic movies. M83 has made a sincerely teenage album detailing the desperation of unfettered youth. And I'm totally a sucker for the beautiful coming-of-age genre (Catcher in the Rye, My So-Called Life, Freaks and Geeks, Dazed and Confused, ect..) so you KNOW this would be right up my alley. And just look at that album cover!
So my Frankenstein monster that was seemingly created just for me and my tastes has joined me again. Maybe I can be the Bride of Frankenstein or something. Here's a video for the lead single, "Graveyard Girl".

No comments:

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

Dat Dood

Dat Dood