You are what you like.

snitches get stitches

Monday, September 1, 2008

Weekly Faves

There isn't too much coming out this week, but there are still a couple of things that I've been really excited about.

The Office: Season 4


The Office is the funniest/best show on network television. Yes, even better than Friday Night Lights. This was another great season, although I thought the whole Pam and Jim thing was kinda boring since they got together. They're definitely more fun when their love was unrequited.
And to think that I boycotted this show for 3 years because I loved the original so much and I wanted to be faithful to it. This will be the first time that I'll watch the DVD's having already seen the episodes on TV. Oh well, better late than never.

Here's a deleted scene from Season 4


Young Jeezy: The Recession



Young Jeezy is an admittedly required taste. Some people will get annoyed with his weird hushed-raspy voice, his (sometimes) gimmicky lyrics about drug dealing and his endless adlibs (A-HA, THAT'S RIGHT, YEAH, HEY, ect..), and some people will love him because of all that stuff (like me). He's delivered two really dope albums already, and I'm hoping he continues his streak with The Recession. He's one of the best in the game.

Put On

Here's some of my favorite things of the past week. I'm not working or going to school yet and I don't really know anybody in Portland yet so I've had a lot of time on my hands to immerse myself in all things media. Check some of these out.


Favorite new music:

Lindstrøm: Where You Go I Go Too



Lindstrøm is this really cool electronic musician who makes this minimalist space-disco music. The album only has 3 tracks, although it is 55 minutes long, so the songs have room to breath and transform. I really liked it.
http://www.myspace.com/feedelity


Flying Lotus: Los Angeles



Flying Lotus is some crazy experimental instrumental laptop hip-hop that sounds amazing. It's like chilled-out beats but with a million tiny things going on... it's quite the trip. Check it out.
http://www.myspace.com/flyinglotus

Truckasaurus: Tea Party, Guns and Valor

This is the craziest/dopest thing I've heard in awhile. Truckasaurus are some electronic geniuses from Seattle that use all these retro machines, Commodore 64s, decades-old software, and various 8-bit components, to make these really cool songs. I'm down. Check out this video for "Fak!!" too, you'll never look at The Ultimate Warrior the same ever again.


http://www.myspace.com/teapartiesgunsnvalor


Movies:

Man On Wire



This movie was really remarkable. It's one of those films that reinforces life and living. It's a documentary about this guy that walked a tightrope between the two World Trade Center buildings in the 70's illegaly, and it comes across as the most suspenseful heist film to come out in ages. This film is rocking a 100% on rottentomatoes too! Go see it.


Vicky Cristina Barcelona



This new Woody Allen movie was excellent, definitely a return to form for the directing legend. This movie is smart, funny and beautiful as Allen paints a loving picture of the richness of Spain. And it also makes the audience reevaluate what we look for in relationships. This movie is a total crowd-pleaser, the audience I was in actually clapped during the credits. And that's not a small feat for these jaded, art-soaked citizens of Portland.



Hamlet 2


This movie was just really silly and funny, I was laughing the whole time. Get ready to get offended.



DVD:

Mad Men

I finally got around to watching the first season of Mad Men, and it was really good! I really liked all the period detail and the authentic rendering of this exciting world of the not-too distant past. It's not the second coming of The Sopranos, but it was great.
And I've met the love of my life now.

No comments:

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

Dat Dood

Dat Dood