You are what you like.

snitches get stitches

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Weekly Faves




The only new release that matters this week is the new Apatow-crew comedy/action/buddy/stoner movie, "Pineapple Express". Being the huge Apatow fan that I am, I saw the movie twice. Today. Thug Life.
Like I said, I'm a big Apatow guy. I've been a fan of his since his much-loved and short-lived show, "Freaks and Geeks". I even have an actual limited edition (only 2,000 were made) "Freaks and Geeks" yearbook that comes with 2 extra DVD's and like a real yearbook that cost me $300 on ebay. And for "Freaks and Geeks" fans, these new Apatow-produced movies are so great because they have EVERYBODY from the show in all his movies. Like Seth Rogen (who wrote Pineapple Express and Superbad) and James Franco were buddies on "Freaks and Geeks"! It's such a treat for nerdy fans like me to see all these guys getting back together, hanging out on camera and making genius comedy. Every new Apatow film almost turns into a fun high-school reunion.
Here's my "Freaks and Geeks" yearbook.



The thing about Apatow movies is that they're totally dirty and funny and everything, but they also have really sweet messages about loneliness, arrested development and the constant struggle of suppressing your inner geek. I believe that Apatow movies are like shoegaze music. Both shoegaze and Apatow have really simple, sweet and even beautiful things happening underneath deafening noise of distortion, or in Apatow's case profanity and general grossness. And some people can't get past it. Some people can't get past the ear-splitting guitars and noise in shoegaze, and some people can't get past the shocking profanity in Apatow. But for those that can lie hidden treasures that can pluck your heartstrings.
My Judd Apatow list goes as follows:

TV shows:
1) "Freaks and Geeks"
2) Undeclared

Directed by Apatow:
1) The 40-Year-Old Virgin
2) Knocked Up

Produced by Apatow:
1) Superbad
2) Pineapple Express
3) Anchorman
4) Forgetting Sarah Marshall
5) Talladega Nights
6) Walk Hard
7) The TV Set


Here's the trailer for "Pineapple Express"

No comments:

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

Dat Dood

Dat Dood