You are what you like.

snitches get stitches

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Marnie Stern



Following in the similar vein of girl-rockers and riotgrrrl's of the Northwest is Marnie Stern (she's even on Kill Rock Stars!). I've been listening to her 2007 album, In Advance of the Broken Arm, a ton lately and I'm really liking it.
I'm a total sucker for girl-rockers. Kurt Cobain said (and I completely agree with him) that girls are the future of rock & roll... by his reasoning, guys have been in control of everything (rock included) for so long that they no longer have anything interesting to say or add to the art form. Women are the future of rock & roll because they have a fresh, untapped voice with which they can express their experiences of living in a male-dominated society. Men really have nothing new to bring to the table... their experience has been documented thoroughly already.
It's funny because I used to feel really uncomfortable listening to girl singers when I was growing up. I guess I used to reason (in my completely immature mind) that girl singers were singing about loving boys, so by me singing along with them, I was singing about loving boys too, making me gay. I guess I was really immature or something.
Anyways, Marnie Stern is probably the best female guitarist ever, her songs are cool and she's like really beautiful too.






http://www.myspace.com/marniestern1

No comments:

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

Dat Dood

Dat Dood