You are what you like.

snitches get stitches

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Record Store Day!



Hey this Saturday, April 19th, is Record Store Day!
This is a huge event taking place at 100's of independent record stores around the country and is hopefully going to be a big boost to the struggling industry. There are going to be a ton of special, 1-day only events going on: exclusive limited edition 7"s by Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks, Vampire Weekend, Built to Spill, R.E.M., Death Cab for Cutie, and the Black Keys; special screenings of Bjork's 3-D "Wanderlust" video; a foosball challenge from Menomena at a store in Portland and a ton of special in-store concerts at the participating record stores.
I'm really excited about Record Store Day because I think independent record stores are important cultural community centers that champion independent music and artists. I've lived in places like Rexburg and Provo that didn't have record stores and I really hated having to go to corporate super-chains like Best Buy and Wal-Mart (I'm especially embarrassed and guilt-ridden that I 'had' to buy DVD's at Wal-Mart) that only carried the biggest, blandest and safest products while eschewing more independent choices. I'm not interested in stores with lower CD prices who's ultimate goal is to get me to buy soap and plasma screens. So now I really cherish my local record store. I go there faithfully every Tuesday.
I know I'm totally in the minority of music fans but I still am in love with the CD, with the album. I just like having something tangible in my hands that I can hold while leafing through the liner notes. Don't get me wrong, I download a lot of music off iTunes and emusic, but I prefer to get the CD's. I just cherish them a lot more.
So if you haven't been to a record store in awhile head over to one this Saturday!
Here's a list of the participating stores:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Venues.html

No comments:

About Me

Blog Archive

Followers

Dat Dood

Dat Dood